WORKING ON A MORE MEANINGFUL AND JOYFUL LIFE
Happy Monday! How was your weekend? Did you get a chance to do something terrific for the season? We visited with our daughter and her family and had a special holiday breakfast, using all the beautiful dishes and lighting candles. One of the simple things we love to do, without spending lots of money.
“Life is too short not to celebrate nice moments!” – Jurgen Klopp
Let’s chat today about these kinds of nice moments that are meaningful and joyful in our lives, and how to have them more often.
To help find and live a more meaningful and joyful life. And if nice moments can add to that purpose, let’s have more of them.
Just to be clear, there are many ways to bring more meaning and joy into our lives. The point of this conversation is to open up ways to pursue that life. What that looks like ultimately will be unique to each of us.
To have the energy, time, and focus to cultivate more meaning and joy into your life, here are a few things to give up:
- Shopping – (I know, it’s the holiday season, the gift giving time of year. Please take care. Some of us get caught up in the competition of gifting. And holy moly, it’s hard not to see a million things we want for ourselves!) When we shop we get caught up in the messages that the world constantly sends out, mainly that we won’t have a meaningful and joyful life if we don’t buy that thing.
- Comparing – This is dangerous, and it never, ever ends. There will always be someone who has something we think is better. This may take a lifetime to learn to do, but it is so worth the effort.
- Thinking that some future thing will bring the joy – Don’t we all do this? When the living room is redecorated, when we lose 20 pounds, or when we have the perfect job, that’s when things will be so much better and we can finally stop to enjoy. Easier said than done for sure, but stop looking ahead – Joy and meaning can happen right now.
- Complaining – When we whine and carry on about all the woes in life, it’s pretty much near impossible to find meaning and joy. Can you see how that is?
I am assuming you are already doing these things at least some of the time, so here are some reminders of the things that will help pave the way to more meaning and joy in life:
- Keep using the things you have and love – You already have wonderful things that you love. Use them. Pull them out and make some new memories with them to make them even more wonderful.
- Keep living the life you want – You probably know what you like and what you want. We can certainly look for inspiration, but live your life, not your neighbor’s.
- Keep enjoying the moment – Right now there is something worth enjoying. Look around and you’ll find it. Don’t give up.
- Keep being grateful – There is nothing like gratitude to get our hearts in line to seeing all the goodness in life. How could that not bring more meaning and joy into our lives?
How do you bring in more meaningful and joyful times into your life? What do you do to make the most of them?