WHAT’S HAPPENING THIS CHRISTMAS?
I’m going to state the obvious – Christmas will most likely look different this year.
The thing I’ve noticed about this particular holiday is that so many of us have lots of traditions tied up in it. Traditions bring loved ones together, they contribute to a sense of belonging, they bring comfort, they help us to create new memories, and they connect us to the past. Some traditions are healthy, some not so much. They sure are important.
But why not take the opportunity to make the most of this unusual holiday season?
Here are a few suggestions, at random:
- Light a candle. Let’s start small. The world needs more light. This is a simple way to bring it.
- Be kind to yourself. If you are feeling like you just cannot keep up with all you expect of this time of year, be gentle. No one is setting a bar.
- Keep only the traditions you love. The first time I let go of a longstanding tradition I was amazed that the world kept spinning. And my loved ones were just fine. We chatted about it and let it go.
- Maybe try something new if it speaks to you. If it’s a hit, great. If not, it’s all good, too. How about a new recipe or sleeping under the Christmas tree?
- Let the season happen. It’s easy to get caught up in forcing the magic. Be intentional about what you give your energy to for sure, but really, just relax.
- Don’t skip the things that make you feel good. Get enough sleep, drink lots of water, eat mostly healthy, exercise, find some downtime.
- But find a balance. Stay up late, drink hot chocolate, eat some cookies, snuggle on the couch, be a little busy.
- Decide what you want to do because you want it, not someone else.
- Get outside. Seriously, the idea of getting outside is a struggle, but once I’m out, it feels so good to be alive. And of course, when you come back in you can snuggle on the couch with hot chocolate and cookies….
- Each of us is unique, which means the way we celebrate will be pretty unique, too. That’s a good thing! Don’t try to be Martha Stewart.
You just never know what might come of trying something new. You may not love it, but that’s cool. There is magic in the effort.
What are some of your favorite traditions? Are you trying something new this year? Let me know!