At about this time of year I start getting a little bit antsy. We’ve had a few “warm” days, meaning it got above freezing, and I am all ready for spring. I have to tell myself that it’s not Spring, or I will be so disappointed, as we will most likely get more cold weather and more snow. I know this. But it’s almost Spring, and that works for me.
It’s time to do some un-wintering.
What is that you ask? It’s kind of a getting ready for Spring idea. I’m not quite ready for going all in with Spring, but I like to have some time before we go all-in to the next season. Maybe you feel the same way.
Here is what that looks like for me:
- Put the last of the winter decorations away. I know, lots of you did that in January. I like to hang onto a few winter things, like pinecones, a dried orange slice garland, a star garland, and a few dried flower arrangements. I think they make things feel cozy while we are still hibernating, but we are done with that, so it all gets put away.
- Do some decluttering. That’s mostly done around here, but there are a few things that have snuck in and it’s time to get them back where they belong. Find tips on decluttering here.
- Lighten things up. The darker, cozy vibes are great for Autumn and Winter, but Spring is all about fresh and light. This might mean leaving curtains open more, trading out a few heavier blankets for some lighter ones, or just leaving some spaces empty for a while.
- Get some cleaning done. Like the deep cleaning kind of cleaning. Getting the crumbs out of the silverware drawer and the hair out of the bathroom drawers, cleaning the shelves in the fridge, and vacuuming behind the couch. Not all at once, mind you, just little tasks that I can get in here and there.
- Do some dreaming. Spring is on it’s way, so there are lots of good things to look forward to, like starting seeds for the garden, getting outside on more walks and physical distance visiting, and longer daylight hours.
Getting some un-wintering in is a terrific way to run with the sunny Spring vibes when it feels like Winter will never end. And before we know it, it will be Spring and we will be ready to get all into the season.
Do you un-winter your home? What works for you? Let me know!