NEW STUDIO / OFFICE IDEAS
In just a few weeks, our youngest son is moving out on his own. I’m not going to lie, it’s definitely bittersweet. I’ve had some time to get used to the idea and I am super excited for him and the next adventure he will be on, but it is the end of an era for us. We will miss having him around.
And as they say, with change comes opportunity.
My big opportunity is a studio/office. I am very much looking forward to using his former room to get a bunch of spaces pulled together into one. We’ve made great little spots for a bunch of different tasks, which would continue to work. However, an empty 10 x 10ish space opens up a whole new world!
Here is what we have going on at the moment:
- My studio is in the basement.
- My crafty and office supplies are in a blue armoire cabinet downstairs.
- We have our computer in the living room. The cabinet it’s in houses our “office”.
- The gift wrapping supplies are in a closet downstairs.
- Our laptop is downstairs
It’s not a problem having all these things where they currently are. In a small house, you get creative about how to use space and store things. We knew the day would come when we would be able to corral all of these like items into a dedicated space, and all the dreamy ideas I’ve had can now start to come together.
Which means a project! I love home projects. I know not everyone does, but I get excited about potential, about having a space that reflects us, and is super useful for our needs.
Here’s a breakdown of some of the bigger items for the studio project:
- Patch and paint walls. I’m going to use a very light gray to take advantage of the light. This room has two windows – so much more natural light than the basement.
- Paint and assemble closet shelves. Found some on FB marketplace recently. I love being able to buy used things that are interesting and inexpensive.
- Get a rug for the space.
- Haul up my fabulous cast iron artist table from the basement. (Don’t mind all those crazy wires!) It is absolutely one of my best purchases.
- Build an over the desk shelf.
- Unload the cabinet downstairs of craft and sewing supplies and organize them on the new shelves.
- Build a new desk for our computer. (Plans from Ana-White.com)
- Make it personal. I have a genius idea for lots of my art supplies that I am especially excited about. It’s the little things in life.
I’ve had my studio space in the basement since we’ve lived here. I actually quite like it and will miss having the fireplace close by during the winter. I do feel a little disconnected down there though. It will be great being closer to the action and being able to close the door on projects happening in there when our little grand kiddos come for a visit.
I’m excited to get started on this project. Liam said he’s going to start taking things off his walls, so I can at least get started patching the holes. Hopefully that will tide me over until I can get in there and get to work.
Do you have different spots for tasks, working with what you’ve got? How do you make it work? Are there ways to join any of them to make life easier? Let me know!