GIFT GIVING THOUGHTS
For it is in giving that we receive. St Frances of Assisi
One of the best things to do in the world is to give.
Whether we give time, energy, money, gifts, talents, or ourselves, as we give we have the privilege of being a part of God’s work. He could take care of everything we need and want, He is all powerful, but He allows us to get involved, to share in the joy of choosing to give and to give. That’s probably why it feels so great – We are in cahoots with God.
This is the season for giving gifts. I love it! I’m fairly decent at it and it’s the best when someone receives a gift from me and they love it. For some, gift giving is one of their talents. I have someone in my life who is the best gift-giver, and I am in awe at how thoughtful she is. It is a joy to watch anyone open a gift from her.
A few thoughts (there are many more I’m sure) on gift giving, in no particular order:
- The amount of money spent is not important. One of the very best gifts I received was a cardboard fireplace mantel. I had always wanted a fireplace but our homes never had one. Darren created one as a gift for me and I absolutely loved it.
- Make sure to give from heart for best results. The recipient will absolutely feel it and it makes the gift, no matter what it is, so much better.
- Don’t give grudgingly – There isn’t much value there. Have you ever been given a gift that was given against the giver’s will? Yeah, it’s not the best experience. In fact it can be downright awkward.
- Give because you want to, not because it’s expected. This one is tricky. We sometimes have obligations with friend groups or family, but if it has become a chore, it may be time to rethink it. If you feel strongly that it’s not enjoyable, have the conversation to change things up.
- Positive energy. Giving in a thoughtful, loving, from the heart kind of way brings such good vibes all around. Everyone can feel it!
- It’s inspiring. I want to hone my skills on gift giving when I see pros in action.
- It really is the thought that counts. Never underestimate the power of good intentions paired up with love. I love being thought of. Who doesn’t?
- Don’t make yourself crazy. Honestly, sometimes I am at a loss on what to give, but keeping it simple may be the way to go.
I love that we have gift giving traditions, but it can be overwhelming sometimes. Remembering that we are in on a special, sacred work can bring more joy to the whole process, from selecting, to wrapping to giving, and also when receiving gifts.
I’m sure there is more to add here, and I would love to hear what you think. Are you a pro at gift giving? Or do you struggle? Let me know!